Monday, May 4, 2009

song of the week: my mirror speaks

I've always liked Death Cab For Cutie, but they've never been one of my favorite bands. I listened to Transatlanticism quite a bit in my early high school years (and that makes me sound so emo, but I swear I wasn't really!) and I picked up Plans along the way somewhere--probably stolen off my sister's iTunes--but I never got that into them.

However, Vanilla Bear gave me a link to download The Open Door EP a few weeks ago, and I seriously got hooked. All five songs are great, but the first three are especially addictive. I think my favorite is actually track 2, titled "A Diamond and a Tether". It's a bit slower and more angsty than the others, and I'm usually more a fan of the happy songs, but really I love the lyrics. I'm sure you all know from my earlier musical musings that I'm a sucker for well-written poetic lyrics. But I chose "My Mirror Speaks" for the song of the week because it's catchier and more upbeat, and I just can't help but smile when the claps kick in at the chorus. I don't have Narrow Stairs, the LP that these B-sides were recorded with, but I'm thinking that if it's anything like the EP then I might have to get it.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

My favorite is a Diamond and a Tether as well. Lucy is absolutely in love with My Mirror Speaks though. I think Little Bribes is the most catchy though. An all around completely amazing EP and I think you would enjoy Narrow stairs.

Vanilla Bear said...

Yes Sarah! <3 <3 <3

Go me and my illegal download finding skillz hehe!

Also what are you doing without Narrow Stairs? Get!