Monday, December 28, 2009

top five albums of the last decade, part two: 2002 & 2003

2002

5. Un Día Normal - Juanes

I just discovered Juanes a few summers ago (I never took high school Spanish, so I didn't get to translate his lyrics - we just got MC Solaar in French class), but Latino pop has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, and this is some fantastic stuff. The Black Eyed Peas actually did a remix of La Paga that I like a lot, although the original is better.

4. Turn On The Bright Lights - Interpol

I actually didn't get this album until last year, and I don't like it as much as Antics, but it's still great.

3. Songs About Jane - Maroon 5

My sister got this album from a friend of hers right when it came out, and we both quickly became obsessed. Maroon 5 was the first band I ever saw in concert, when they were opening for John Mayer. They didn't get popular until like two or three years after they released their debut, and it was my first real experience with discovering awesome music before everyone else and being able to say I told you so. Hee, I still love that feeling.

2. O - Damien Rice

There are certain albums that bring me back to a very specific place and time when I listen to them. This album reminds me of summer camp in 2006. I had heard Damien Rice before that and didn't pay much attention, but my friend played "The Blower's Daughter" in one of the talent shows and I fell in love with it.

1. A Rush Of Blood To The Head - Coldplay

Like I said earlier, I don't listen to Coldplay all that much anymore, and I hadn't listened to this album in years until I started making this list. Then I re-listened and remembered how amazing it is.

2003

5. Keep It Together - Guster

This was such a great year for music that it was really hard to narrow this list down. But this album definitely deserves a place. Guster's best in my opinion, with "Amsterdam", "Homecoming King", "Keep It Together", and "Come Downstairs and Say Hello".

4. The Guest - Phantom Planet

This album--and band--is famous for "that OC song!" but there's much more to it than "California", which isn't even my favorite on the CD. Their first album was classic Cali pop rock, but this one is great because it has so many different sounding songs.

3. Absolution - Muse

This is the album that made me a Muse fangirl. I love the Rachmaninov influenced piano solo in "Butterflies & Hurricanes", "Hysteria" is my favorite road trip song, and "Time Is Running Out" is still one of the best songs ever.

2. Dear Catastrophe Waitress - Belle and Sebastian

I discovered Belle and Sebastian far too late. I had heard how good they were for years but I never got around to getting an album until pretty recently. Silly me. This album is freaking awesome. Go listen to it if you haven't.

1. Chutes Too Narrow - The Shins

I don't even know how to describe how much I love Chutes Too Narrow. When I try to think of my favorite song, I can't choose. For every time I think "Saint Simon", I remember "Gone for Good" and "Pink Bullets" and "So Says I" and I give up and go listen to the CD over and over.

1 comment:

Vanilla Bear said...

OOo! I have all these albums except for Belle and Sebastian

Clearly the best two years of the noughties so far :D

Also JUANES!!!!! ♥