Wednesday, December 30, 2009

top five albums of the last decade, part four: 2006 & 2007

2006

5. Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not - Arctic Monkeys

I know lots of English people got annoyed when this album came out because of all the hype about a band that wasn't really all that great. But since I was safely in my American bubble, I didn't get any of that, and I just enjoyed it for what it is: a fun record about boring teenage life sung in a very strong Yorkshire accent. And you all know how I love the northerners!

4. Robbers & Cowards - Cold War Kids

This is an awesome video for an amazing song. This album is a very cool blend of west coast quirky rock and folksy-bluesy undertones.

3. Yours To Keep - Albert Hammond, Jr.

While browsing youtube for a video to link to, I noticed that a lot of comments had to do with the Jonas Brothers. Apparently they wrote a song about a pizza girl (?) that sounds a lot like "Call An Ambulance". So I had to look it up and it does sound really similar, and now I'm getting Jonas Brothers youtube recommendations. Fuck them. Anyways, this guy is awesome. The guitars still sound very Strokesy, but without Casablancas' voice the overall sound is a lot less rock with a little more pop.

2. Ganging Up On The Sun - Guster

Like Phantom Planet, Guster have been one of my favorite bands for a very long time, and I think they will always be up there. I'm pretty sure we have three copies of this CD floating around our house, because my brother and sister and I were all in different places during the summer that it was released, and we all bought it. It's that good.

1. Bring It Back - Mates of State

(I'm not sure what's going on in this video. You can ignore it.) I really like male-female vocals, and this husband and wife duo is one of the best around. Neither of them have particularly incredible voices, but the harmonies and especially the rhythms are really great.

2007

5. The Good, The Bad, and The Queen - The Good, The Bad, and The Queen

This album was a collaboration between singer Damon Albarn (of Blur and Gorillaz fame), guitarist Simon Tong (The Verve), bassist Paul Simonon (The Clash), and drummer Tony Allen (Feta Kuli). It's not an album that really pops out at you, but rather one that grows on you. It's one of my studying records: not too loud or upbeat that it will distract me, but interesting enough to keep me awake.

4. Night Falls Over Kortedala - Jens Lekman

The sophomore album from everyone's favorite Swedish crooner, Night Falls Over Kortedala is happy, romantic, sometimes melancholic, and always witty. I totally see why my best friend is a little bit in love with him.

3. I'll Be Lightning - Liam Finn

Liam Finn is one of those people that are born into rock royalty (weird fact: I have a cousin named Neil Finn), but he's not hiding in his father's shadow. I'll Be Lightning is a hauntingly beautiful debut album from a talented young musician. This is another one of my study-at-Starbucks records.

2. Neon Bible - Arcade Fire

In my opinion, Neon Bible isn't as good as Funeral, but it's still great (especially the first four songs). Again, the mix of French and English lyrics make me geekily happy, especially when I can understand them, i.e. "le miroir casse / the mirror casts mon reflet partout" from Black Mirror.

1. In Rainbows - Radiohead

I remember the day this album came out. It was the infamous "pay what you want" deal, and their website crashed because so many people were trying to download it. After I finally got it, I didn't stop listening to it for about two months. And then I saw them in concert and it was uh-mazing.

No comments: