Friday, February 6, 2009

britpop: blog challenge eight

The return of the blog challenge saw all of us assigned a specific era in music. Vanilla Bear first suggested that I do Britpop, because well, we are talking about me here. But I didn't know if I could do the 90s English music scene justice, seeing as I knew nothing about it at the time it was going on. And I'm actually not as big a fan of Britpop as I seem to be; I know little if anything about some of the smaller bands and one-hit-wonders of the time, and I don't really like Suede. However, I decided to come up with a list anyways, and it ended up being a lot longer than I had anticipated.


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com


I was going to comment on all of them, but I'm getting lazy so you're just going to get a list.

1) Teenage Fanclub - Your Love is the Place Where I Come From. Songs From Northern Britain, 1997.

2) Blur - The Universal. The Great Escape, 1995.

[I'm adding the video to this one because I love it. Damon Albarn does a pretty darn good Alex DeLarge.]

3) Pulp - Disco 2000. Different Class, 1995.

4) Manic Street Preachers - A Design For Life. Everything Must Go, 1996.

5) James - Laid. Laid, 1993.

6) Echobelly - Great Things. On, 1995.

7) Super Furry Animals - God! Show Me Magic. Moog Droog, 1995.

8) The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony. Urban Hymns, 1997.

9) Ash - A Life Less Ordinary. A Life Less Ordinary (Single), 1997.

10) Oasis - Live Forever. Definitely Maybe, 1994.

Well that was fun. I now have the urge to drape myself in the Union Jack and go hang out in Camden Town.

3 comments:

Vanilla Bear said...

Sarah I love this post! Serious 90s flashbacks. Awesome. I love the Manic Street Preachers one and Disco 2000, omg. Memories.

Oasis - Live Forever <3 I don't know if I'd have been able to choose between that or Slide Away. Tough call.

I didn't love all of Britpop but you've definitely got the highlights right there *thumbs up*

blank said...

Ok like I know nothing about Britpop but I've been sitting here letting these songs play and I'm feeling happy and poppy so i think they're doing their job. bittersweet symphony is bringing back memories though. fun list :D

random story: i got lost in camden town once by myself late at night and i was kinda nervous about it but then this man with noel fielding hair and pointy snake skin shoes wiped out into a car and it was the funniest thing i've ever seen and all was well.

senorita.blue said...

Great work Sare!
I'm glad that you didn't put Song 2 from Blur - because my throat is still sore from screaming to that song in a Singstar competition.

Wait - do I spot "Ryan Giggs" on that magazine cover?