Friday, April 3, 2009

"i don't know how i got off that island phil..."

I may have been a bit over dramatic in my last entry. It really wasn't all that bad. The main problem wasn't the other tourists, it was the weather. Freezing cold and rained every day...I didn't even take my bathing suit out of my backpack. And I was so looking forward to going to the beach. Definite mood killer.

Because none of us had cold weather clothing it was nigh on impossible to actually do anything outside for very long that didn't end in us shivering and wanting to go back and curl up under blankets, so we pretty much sat in our hotel room all day, and then were kept up all night by the aforementioned banging and yelling and general drunken debauchery going on all around us. But everything else would have been much more bearable if we weren't in such crappy moods already. That's not to say that we didn't go out at night, because we did. Like I said, there was really nothing else we could do. And about the nightlife...yeah, Blur were totally right.

On Thursday we did go to the Inca markets, which would have been great...if it hadn't started pouring an hour into our trip. So of course we got soaked again, and all the vendors closed down, and we couldn't even go inside a cafe because it was too crowded so we ended up sitting outside in the cold under the little overhang.

Best part of the trip: our last night we splashed out and went to a nice Spanish restaurant and I got seafood paella and it was absolutely delicious. Although I split it with a friend who loves seafood, but only if it's all de-shelled and de-clawed and de-headed and everything, because "eating anything with eyes that looks alive freaks me out!" So I had to deshell all of her seafood before she could eat it.

I did get to watch the Spain vs. Turkey World Cup qualifyer, which was pretty cool to watch while actually in Spain. Same with the Nadal - Del Potro tennis match. Those Mallorcans (the few that I actually met, at least) do love their Rafa Nadal.

So my overall verdict is that it was a pretty awful vacation, but I would really like to go back someday when 1) it's actually hot out, and 2) I have more money so I can stay somewhere farther inland and away from the British area. The actual island is gorgeous, the mountains look like they'd be great for hiking, and the beaches were pretty even without the sun so they'd probably look even better with it.

2 comments:

senorita.blue said...

Again Sare - big hugs for you.
Weather prediction ruins life again :(
Poor Mallorcan - even it wasn't a great day for Rafa.
Yeah - maybe Marbella next time?
Alicante might still be an undiscovered area - or Cadiz :D

Vanilla Bear said...

Aw I'm sorry Sarah, I hate British chav tourists with a passion too, that's why I'm a little worried about Barca :(

Also, who doesn't love their Rafa Nadal? ;;