Sunday, April 12, 2009

song of the week: violent berries

This week's song "Violent Berries" comes courtesy of DC band Exit Clov made up of twin singers/violin/keyboard/guitar players Emily and Susan Hsu, Aaron Leeder (guitar), Brett Niederman (bass), and John Thayer (drums).

Maybe it's my dorkestra background (yes, I played the viola for about 7 years), but I love bands that incorporate classical or unusual instruments into their sound. They are largely influenced by the city they live in, so a lot of their songs are politically fueled ("MK Ultra" tells the tale of Candy Jones, who claimed to be brainwashed by the government in the 1960s, and their haunting rendition of John Lennon's "Working Class Hero" will never get old), and they're supposed to put on a fantastic live show. My friend and I tried to get to several of their concerts back in high school, but it never seemed to work out. They actually sent us back a message on MySpace once that said they would try to get us in to a show free because they love their MySpace fans (this was back when MySpace was cool, mind you), but high school stuff always got in the way.

Sorry, I know this is kind of a crap writeup but the plague is still eating at my brain. I'm posting it anyways because I've been serious neglecting this place.

1 comment:

Vanilla Bear said...

Lol back when Myspace was cool! True though, it's all about Facebook now and even that is going to feel the backlash soon I think. Which is good bc I hate Facebook!

Anyway I remember the song by this band on the CD you made us - very nice! *Jose style*