Saturday, March 14, 2009

the fall will probably kill you!

Movies I need to buy:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I'm not really a fan of westerns, because most of the ones I've seen have bored me. (I've been told many times that I need to watch The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and I'm sure I will one of these days, but I'm not really in a hurry to.) But this movie is fantastic. It's sad at times, hilarious at others, and has some of the best one-liners in movie history. "Think you used enough dynamite there, Butch?" is a common phrase in my household. And the whole language barrier issue when they go to Bolivia is just classic comedy, because it's so easy to relate to...you know, except for the whole bank-robbing thing. Really, you can't go wrong with a Paul Newman/Robert Redford movie.

Amélie, a.k.a. Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain

I watched this again after I went to Montmartre. I'd forgotten how much I like it. It's quirky, fun, and just makes me smile.

And keeping with the French theme...

Les Choristes


Like the French version of Dead Poets Society, with music. Jean-Baptiste Maunier's voice is absolutely stunning. I want to kidnap him and make him sing to me all day.

Singin' in the Rain

I'm not entirely sure how I don't own this movie. It's one of my favorite movies ever, and definitely my favorite musical. In an interview Debbie Reynolds said that Gene Kelly made them practice the dances until their feet bled. You know what, Debbie? It was worth it.

Notorious

My favorite Alfred Hitchcock movie. It's got love, mystery, Nazis, and Ingrid Bergman's kickass wardrobe. And the wine cellar scene is one of the most suspensful scenes in cinematic history.

The Godfather

Who doesn't love a little mob drama? Al Pacino is awesome. Although the first time I tried to watch this movie, I couldn't finish it because it was too sad when his Italian wife died. I still don't like that part. But still, it should be a part of everyone's movie collection.

There are tons of other movies that I don't own but should, but I clearly can't fit them all here. My film collection isn't very big.

2 comments:

Vanilla Bear said...

I haven't seen any of these movies except for Singin In The Rain <3<3<3<3 I love Gene! That one scene, THE scene, makes me smile so much :)

I also really want to see Amelie, it looks like something I'd like.. even though I have no idea what it's about lol

Stephanie said...

Butch Cassidy is like my great great uncle or something like that. My grandma is way into geneology and yeah, I'm related to him somehow.

Also, not a big fan of westerns either. My mom loves Clint Eastwood though.