Tuesday, March 10, 2009

song covers

I found myself in the middle of a discussion about the pros and cons of song covers a few weeks ago. Some people don't like covers as a general rule, because the remake usually doesn't live up to the original, but I tend to enjoy them (as long as they're well done). I do think they should sound different from the original song, because what's the point of remaking a song if you're just trying to make it sound like it did before, but not as good? Anyways, here are a few that I like:

Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want - Muse (original by The Smiths)


Just - Mark Ronson & Alex Greenwald (original by Radiohead)


Across the Universe - Rufus Wainwright (original by The Beatles)



I Fought the Law - The Clash
(original by Sonny Curtis and the Crickets, but I couldn't find it on youtube.) Not really sure what's up with the beach pictures in the video, but whatev.


I Found A Reason - Cat Power
(original by The Velvet Underground, but again I couldn't find it on youtube. Original versh is much longer and a little more upbeat.)


Working Class Hero - Exit Clov (original by John Lennon)
This one I can't find anywhere online, and the stupid iTunes file on my computer is locked and won't let me convert it to any other file type. But trust me, it's a good cover.

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley
(original by Leonard Cohen)
This one I actually like better than the original. No matter how many times I listen to it, Buckley's voice never ever fails to give me chills.


A few covers that never should have been made: Madonna's version of American Pie, Limp Bizkit's Behind Blue Eyes, and the Orgy version of Blue Monday (I know a lot of people like this one, but I just can't get into it, it's far too angry for me).

3 comments:

senorita.blue said...

Is that Dakota Fanning in the Rufus Wainwright video?

Totally agree with your post.
Have no objection to covers at all.
I don't even mind some of Weird Al Yankovic's ones.

But Madonna's American Pie is :S

Vanilla Bear said...

Rufus' versh is growing on me :D

Vanilla Bear said...

A lot :)