Sunday, November 9, 2008

no wonder i never had a 4.0 gpa

Earlier it was suggested that I do a post on all of the various sports I follow, and I am nothing if not obliging, so here you go.

6. College Basketball - I used to be much more into college ball than I am now. This seems a little backwards, as I am in college now and should therefore be more invested in it, but my school isn't actually that good at the sport. And since I'm now tied to one university, I can no longer root for my previous favorite team, because that would just be morally wrong. I still love March Madness competitions though.

5. American Football - Exactly the opposite of basketball, this has moved up the list since I came to college. I started liking the sport in ninth grade, because my high school team was kickass (and being on the dance team I had to go to all of the games anyways) so I ended up getting really into it. But I didn't follow NCAA or NFL until my freshman year of college, where I fast caught Hokie Fever, and through an increased appreciation of the game went back to my roots and started paying attention to Da Bears. And going to games is amazing, especially with our fabulous right-behind-the-band-close-to-the-action seats this season.

4. Tennis - This one is a little harder to get as worked up about, because I don't have one specific player that I follow over others. But I watch all of the Slams (or at least as many of the matches as I can catch...the Aussie Open is a little difficult with the timing issues) and I love most of the players so I'm generally happy with whoever wins. I just appreciate exciting matches, whoever happens to be playing. Unless it's the Williams sisters.

3. Hockey - I'm relatively new to the hockey love, but I've fallen and fallen hard. Now for football and baseball, I've got family loyalties to the Chicago teams because those are the teams my mom grew up cheering for. But she was never a huge hockey fan and I was never instilled with any sort of Blackhawks loyalty, so I became a fan of my local team. And what a team they are! The Washington Capitals make my life complete.

2. Baseball - I understand why many people think baseball is boring, but I grew up watching this game and now I just can't stop. I'm addicted. I get far too into my team (as I'm sure you have all read about in previous entries at the beginning of last month) and despite perpetual letdowns, I still come back at the beginning of each new season and get excited about my boys again.

1. Football (a.k.a. Soccer) - Well, I just explained about where my love of the game came from last entry, so I won't bore you with the deets again. Suffice it to say that this is my favorite sport, my obsession, the one that I absolutely cannot live without, and also the one that weirds people out the most. ("You like soccer?...but why?") I don't think that part will ever change in America.

Whew. Clearly this takes up a lot of my time. I don't know why I go to such pains, and subject myself to so much opportunity for heartbreak. The only thing I can come up with is that seeing my teams win, no matter how infrequently, makes it all worth it.

Plus, athletes are hot.

4 comments:

Venice said...

I never really understood American football, but ever since I realized that my friend the Raúl lookalike is an expert in that area, I've taken some interest...mostly because when you talk to him at parties you're constantly being interrupted by guys coming in asking for his opinion on this team or tactics, since (a) it's a novel thing in Croatia so people are curious, (b) because they fancy they could earn money at the bookies.

So he'd be constantly shrugging at you apologetically while he's answering same old questions, until he freaks out at them and tells them off, only to be bothered again like 5 minutes later with "just this one more question..."

Vanilla Bear said...

Amen to that last sentence Sarah!

I'm so impressed you keep up with all those sports but am pleased to see footie in it's rightful place :D

blank said...

So I take it you like sports?

senorita.blue said...

(hugs Sarah)
Finally, I found a friend who gets constantly asked - "Woah - you like soccer?? Why??"

If only swimming has more tournaments...