Tuesday, November 18, 2008

nostalgia

Yakko, Wakko, and Dot.

If you are like me, you are very familiar with those three names. Or at least you were as a child. Animaniacs was serious the best cartoon ever. It was intelligent without being overbearing, sarcastic without passing over into cruelty, and it contained a fair amount of risqué humor. Looking back on it I'm actually surprised with some of the jokes they got away with. But I guess that's the very reason they got away with them; you need a certain level of maturity to get the more mature insinuations. (When you're little you just laugh at the fart jokes.)

Okay, I love Disney movies as much as the next girl, but this is just classic:


Animaniacs helped me pass History of the Americas in eleventh grade...


...and English in twelfth grade.


And finally, one of my absolute faves, the modern day "Who's on first":


Why isn't modern kids programming this good? You'd be surprised at how difficult it was to choose clips to post. I feel like I've missed out on a billion classic episodes. Go youtube them.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

OMG, I literally watched the Animaniacs like every single day!

blank said...

seriously, Animanics was so good, it taught you things! great memories.

Vanilla Bear said...

Funny Animaniacs story...

I never watched it, the animation just wasn't that good and you could blatantly tell the voices were the same people who did Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck which annoyed me in the same way that Baloo and Thomas O'Malley was voiced by the same guy >:( ANYWAY my massive crush at school used to watch the kids TV on ITV and he loved Animaniacs, whereas I didn't watch ITV, I watched CBBC (Children's BBC). For one year of our schooling, I crushed on his twin brother because I sat opposite him and this one day I found out his twin was 'going out' with this fat girl in my class and I was literally heart broken. I came home, turned on the TV to see Animaniacs starting and it made me cry :(

Having said all that though, that Megellan song is now in my head, and the ending cracked me up :)