Thursday, October 9, 2008

i wrote my feelings down in a rush, i didn't even check the spelling

I've been listening to Maxïmo Park a lot lately.

When Our Earthly Pleasures came out in early 2007, I actually didn't like it as much as their debut. A Certain Trigger was rough, a little odd, and incredibly catchy, and their sophomore album seemed a bit reserved in comparison. It was certainly not as frantic or unhinged. But the more I listened, the more I realized how good the CD--and the band--actually is.

They're generally lumped in with a whole slew of British indie bands that have gotten famous over the past few years, but in my mind they stand out. The poetic eloquence of the lyrics mixed with that hyper britpop music makes them both irresistably singable and danceable. They are one of the few bands that I really don't get tired of listening to.

I think the lyrics really do make all the difference. They're intelligent, witty, often nostalgic and bittersweet and yes, maybe even sometimes a little verbose. No Doubt said "don't speak", and Maxïmo Park say "conceal those thoughts that linger on your breath." They could almost sound pretentious in this way, but Paul Smith's thick northern accent (really not something that screams pretentiousness, on the whole) brings the sound back down to earth. My sister once said I liked "smart music"; I guess this is what she meant.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. But I challenge you to listen to "Our Velocity" and not jump around your room like a maniac at the love is a lie, which means I've been lied to, love is a lie, which means I've been lying too line. I swear, it can't be done.

3 comments:

Vanilla Bear said...

Mmm inneresting! I don't listen to Maximo Park, but when I looked up that song on Youtube, I knew it so they must be one of those bands! I like it :)

BUT the singer annoys me in the video. It's like he wants to be cool by wearing that hat and doing all the jerky movements, but actually, it's no, you're English and therefore your default setting is 'uncool' until proven otherwise ;)

Vanilla Bear said...

Ooh sorry for commenting twice - but I actually really like this band but didn't realise who it was... related links ftw ;) Thanks Sarebear!

Stephanie said...

LOL Lucy.

I haven't heard any of Maximo Parks songs and I'm not sure why, but I will definitely have to look into it!